The wiring of a home can become as outdated and inefficient as any other part of the house. Older wiring typically cannot accommodate the needs that many families have for electricity, and in some cases, older wiring can even be a danger to the home. Consider three signs that your home needs new wiring so that you have the electricity you need and so that your home is safe from the risk of electrical fires.

1. If your circuit breakers constantly trip

Your circuit breakers are meant to protect your home from a surge of electricity along any one circuit, so it might sound like a good thing that one of them may shut off consistently, meaning more than once per month. However, this is usually a sign that the circuit is being consistently being overloaded which is a problem that typically goes back to the wiring in your home.

This is especially true if you've recently installed any electronic devices that demand more electricity than before, such as upgraded appliances in the kitchen or a home entertainment center. Your older wiring may not be able to handle the amount of electricity demanded by these devices and so in turn, your circuits are consistently overloaded and trip.

2. If there is a burning smell behind the walls

One reason you might notice a burning smell behind the walls is if the wiring in your home is being overloaded, or if is stripped and in turn is burning the materials surrounding it. In some homes it's not unusual for rats or mice to chew on electrical wiring and cause it to be stripped so that it becomes exposed and singes insulation or other materials. If it's overloaded, it may also become too hot and singe materials so that you smell something burning.

Always call an electrician if you notice this type of smell. It's best to have it inspected and, if necessary, get your wires replaced so that you cut down on the risk of an actual electrical fire.

3. When outlets feel warm

If your electrical outlets feel overly warm, you may need new wiring. This too is a sign that your current wiring is outdated and overloaded. The outlets become warm because the wiring is carrying too much energy for its design and in turn radiates heat that should otherwise be insulated and contained within the wiring. If you notice your outlets are overly warm, call an electrician, such as from D & D Electric Enterprises, Inc., to inspect your wiring and see about upgrading to something that will better accommodate your needs.

Share